Remember this room?
We’ve made some solid progress in the past couple of weeks:
While the steps of the project aren’t necessarily big enough for their own tutorial, I will share a little synopsis for you here. So often I’m all about the “big reveals” and I accidentally neglect the little projects along the way. Hence why I have three major room reveals coming up and you’ve only seen the inspiration photos! I’m going to make a big effort to change that for future projects.
The most subtle change was painting the walls Benjamin Moore’s Deep in Thought. It’s a slightly darker shade of the cabinet color and slightly lighter than the original wall color (which had a lot of splotchiness). We will eventually be adding full-height battens. I plan to bring in seasonal color in other ways, so I intentionally wanted a blank canvas to inspire me.
The Chalkboard Wall
This was a nerve-wracking experience! I decided to go with Benjamin Moore Chalkboard Paint in Onyx. After I taped off, I lifted that black paint-covered brush to the wall and let out a big breath because I knew that it was a huge commitment. Painting over a color so dark is not easy. Luckily, I LOVE the wall, and I’m so excited to prep it with chalk and start adding some seasonal drawings!
My new desk is made from Ikea Sektion Cabinets with the Hittarp off-white door design. I know I was considering gray, but at the last minute (standing in Ikea, actually) I found that I really didn’t love the color, and that it had a lot of lavender undertones. I’m SO happy with the unexpected farmhouse style of these cabinets- I didn’t even know that they existed until I saw them set up in the store.
I will be sharing a tutorial for how we made the inexpensive Ikea countertop look like walnut butcher block. To say that I’m obsessed with this countertop is an understatement- it’s even more than I was hoping for!
I will also be sharing a tutorial for a drawer “hack” explaining how we transformed the bottom drawer into a file cabinet. It’s much prettier than most filing cabinet options!
The Next Steps
- We will be adding two full-length rustic shelves above the desk. They will be stained to match the countertop.
- I will paint the built-in bookcase. This is a somewhat daunting step to me because I painted it once before. It was originally pretty close to the color I will be painting it- I should have just left it alone! For now it’s housing all of my rustic decor (which I kind of love up there, but it is all going elsewhere for the upcoming fall home tour). I’m also trying to think of a way to integrate wooden shelves.
- Someday we will be adding full-height cabinets on each side of my desk. They are quite pricey, so it wasn’t in the budget for now.
A reminder of my ultimate inspiration for the room:
via Pottery Barn
I have to say, we’re definitely getting close to the foundation for this look! It’s quickly becoming my favorite room in the house, but I say that every time we do a project! :)
Wall Color: Benjamin Moore’s Deep in Thought
Chalkboard Wall: Benjamin Moore Chalkboard Paint in Onyx
Desk Top: Ikea HAMMARP, customized with stain- tutorial to come
Flooring: more info to come
Join the Weekly Newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email and access to our File Library. Download organizing and home decor printables FREE!
Latest posts by Nina (see all)
- Ireland Part 1: Exploring Galway, The Cliffs of Moher, & Dunguaire Castle - April 22, 2017
- Natural and Neutral Family Room Inspiration - April 21, 2017
- New England Farmhouse Neutral Paint Color Scheme - April 11, 2017