Yay, it is September! One of my two favorite months of the year (along with October!). I am now in full fall mode, and I’m celebrating the season by sharing my favorite recipe for pumpkin spice cupcakes with you today
I am a pumpkin spice fanatic. Lattes, muffins, candles- and cupcakes (of course!)- I love them all! I know there are many recipes for pumpkin spice cupcakes floating around, but I wanted to share the one I use personally. Over the years I have added milk to the recipe, more pumpkin pie spice, less egg, etc. I added the cinnamon to the cream cheese frosting to give it a little something “extra”. These cupcakes disappear really fast in our house- the boys love them (with or without the frosting!). I hope you enjoy them! Happy (Almost) Fall!
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
By Nina Hendrick
Sweet and creamy pumpkin cupcakes with a spicy cinnamon cream cheese frosting.
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Total Time: 45 min
- 2 cups of Self-Rising Flour (I prefer White Lily) OR 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour + 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 can (15oz) pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature or softened
- 3 lrg eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
For Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 packages of Cream Cheese (8oz), room temperature
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2lbs confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon (plus extra for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add cupcake liners to a 12-cupcake pan, or grease pan.
- Mix flour (or flour+baking powder), salt, and pumpkin spice in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine pumpkin puree, milk, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cream brown sugar, sugar, and butter in the bowl of your stand mixer. Add eggs in thirds, mixing thoroughly between additions.
- With your stand mixer on low, beat in flour mixture in thirds, alternating with half of the pumpkin puree, until all is combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill each section in the cupcake pan 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Repeat for second dozen.
For Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream together cream cheese and butter in stand mixer using paddle attachment.
- Add half of the confectioner’s sugar, beat on low until combined. Add other half.
- Once combined, add vanilla and cinnamon. Beat until combined.
- Once cupcakes are cool, frost and add cinnamon for garnish.
- Keeping ingredients at room temperature for a little while before baking (eggs, milk, butter, cream cheese) leads to much more stable recipes!
- Use an ice cream scoop to transfer cupcake batter to baking cups!
- Place a dish towel over the bowl of your stand mixer when adding your powdered sugar. This prevents a sugar explosion!
- I used the Wilton 1mm Star Tip to frost.
- Cream Cheese Frosting must be kept refrigerated.
Join the Weekly Newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email and access to our File Library. Download organizing and home decor printables FREE!