Learn how to make this Apple Pecan Rustic Naked Cake, a moist and forgiving spice cake baked with apples and pecans and topped with brown sugar buttercream.
Could this cake be any more “fall”? I have loved the look of naked cakes for a while now, and I absolutely love the idea of not having to frost the entire cake. They are a style of cake that is very forgiving, and you don’t have to worry about trimming tops of layers, crumb coats, etc. Yes, please!
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Please see my disclosures here for more information.
And as far as the taste of the cake goes- it was delicious. The layers were extremely moist- the base cake mix is similar to a spice cake with the added interesting crunch of pecans and the baked apples. For frosting, I went with a brown sugar buttercream, which was very sweet but complimented the flavors of the cake perfectly. I displayed it on my new wood and marble cake stand. I tell you, I have never been so obsessed with a cake stand… and I have a rather out-of-control collection!
Notice I speak of this cake in the past tense- I wish I could say because we ate it all, but unfortunately that’s not the case.
I left it on the counter with a bowl over it when I went to pick up my son from preschool. When I returned, there was frosting all over the floor, cake scattered everywhere, and a very guilty looking Lucy dog sitting in the middle of the mess. Luckily I had already gotten photos and removed it from the cake stand- if she had broken it I would have been very sad.
I hope you enjoy this cake and make sure to keep it away from those pesky pups!
Apple Pecan Rustic Naked Cake
A moist spice cake with apples and pecans.
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Total Time: 1 hr 10 min
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 cups of peeled and diced apples (I prefer honeycrisp)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease cake pan and set aside.
- Cream together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in the bowl of stand mixer until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla extract until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine or sift together flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, allspice, and salt.
- Add 1/3 of flour combination to the bowl of the stand mixer and mix on low speed. Follow with half of the milk. Alternate milk and flour until all are combined.
- Fold in apples and pecans with a spatula until mixed.
- Pour into pan and bake for 30-40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- I doubled the recipe and used three 10″ cake pans to create my naked cake.
- I made this Brown Sugar Buttercream frosting.
- To keep the exposed cake layers moist, you can brush on simple syrup.
Adapted from Price Chopper
You may also enjoy:
Join the Weekly Newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email and access to our File Library. Download organizing and home decor printables FREE!