Trying to brainstorm a creative way to share baby’s gender with family and friends? Use the recipe for these classic gender reveal cupcakes!
So guys… we caved. We found out the baby’s gender after I had convinced myself we wouldn’t.
I am a planner… and in reality, I don’t love surprises. It was simply causing me more stress not to know. So when I had a chance at a follow-up ultrasound, I had the (super sweet!) ultrasound tech write down the baby’s gender on a little card, and seal it in an envelope. I brought it home to open with Mack… it was the longest drive ever.
I thought these gender reveal cupcakes would be a fun way to share our exciting news!
It’s a girl!
We are completely thrilled, and the baby is growing and healthy! :) Before we found out, I never had a “feeling” or “intuition” about the gender. I have been craving sweets like crazy- chocolate, yogurt, fruit, and candy. Do not to give credit to the old wive’s tales- I did when I was pregnant with Cooper, too. I still have some morning sickness on and off, but it’s actually in the morning now when it does happen, rather than all day. The baby feels low- but everyone tells me she looks high! I’m already having those leg cramps at night. Boo and also ouch! I had my first ever mommy massage a few weeks ago at a spa, which was Mack’s anniversary gift to me. OH MY GOODNESS. I will be repeating that for sure, maybe for my birthday and Christmas and any other random holiday I can possibly justify. I feel so good today, almost back to my “normal” self! I can’t believe I skipped it with the first two! 20 weeks to go, and hopefully baby comes a little early or on time like her big brothers!
Typically, the boys have mixed emotions about having a little sister. Logan was hoping for one all along, and Cooper has warmed up a bit to the idea… but he was really leaning more toward having a little brother. ;)
And I’ve been asked a few times, but I don’t regret finding out! It actually made the first half of the pregnancy go by a lot faster, since I wasn’t counting down the days to the ultrasound. While the delivery room surprise would have been neat, my Type A soul is completely at peace in knowing. And shopping.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Please see my disclosures here for more information.
To make things even sweeter here is my favorite classic vanilla cupcakes with buttercream recipe, which I used to make these. To core the cupcake and add the colored frosting, I use a cupcake corer (yes, this is a thing) to remove a bit of the middle and simply pipe in a bit of colored frosting before frosting regularly with the non-tinted buttercream. You can also use a knife to achieve the same result.
Gender Reveal Cupcakes- Classic Vanilla Cupcakes with Basic Buttercream
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 22 min
Total Time: 32 min
Classic Vanilla Cake Ingredients
- 1/2 cup room temp or softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup of milk or creamer
Basic Buttercream Ingredients
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened/room temperature
- 1lb (half a bag) of confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Light Cream
Classic Vanilla Cake Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Cream together butter and sugar in stand mixer. Add eggs one at a time until combined. Mix in vanilla.
- Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl. Add to wet batter in thirds alternating with milk/cream. You may find that you don’t need all of the milk/cream, or you may find you need to add more. You want a loose consistency.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners until they are 3/4 full. Bake for 22 minutes.
Basic Buttercream Instructions
- Beat butter and confectioner’s sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and light cream, if needed.
- The consistency of your buttercream should be similar to peanut butter. Add additional sugar or cream to achieve desired result.
Join the Weekly Newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email and access to our File Library. Download organizing and home decor printables FREE!