Get the recipe for this easy blueberry rustic crostata (or galette) made from Maine blueberries. This tart is like making a pie, but way easier!
One of my very favorite parts of living in New England is picking the fresh produce and visiting farm stands. New England summers to me are divided into “Strawberry, Blueberry, Apple”. Strawberries ripen just as we are getting settled in at Camp after school lets out, and they are full of promise as the air grows warmer. Blueberries are the intermediate and each year they inspire me to bake. As the air turns cool and crisp, ripe apples weigh down the branches in the orchards and signal the bittersweet end of another season.
Blueberry picking at The Creek back in summer 2013.
We are lucky enough to have a whole shoreline of blueberry bushes in the part of Mack’s family’s property know as “The Creek”. Since this was such a weird (wonderful) mild winter and dry year, the wild blueberries this year were a bit undersized and bitter. In past years we have taken the old Boston Whaler down The Creek and picked blueberries on the shoreline from the boat in the water.
This year, I opted for some organic blueberries that were locally grown in Maine.
When it came to what to bake with my fresh blueberries, I knew right away. My go-to this summer has been the crostata (or galette, which is the same thing). I also refer to it as lazy pie, since it’s essentially the same thing, just without having to make it look perfect. I love the rustic appearance of the tart, and the fact that the egg wash gives the crust a crunchy texture. I hope you enjoy it!
Easy Maine Blueberry Rustic Crostata (or Galette) Recipe
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Please see my disclosures here for more information.
An easy and tart pie-inspired rustic dessert.
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 30 min
- 1 premade pie crust
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 tsp for garnish
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg, whisked
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare cookie sheet with wax paper and flour, or flour pizza stone (I have and love this one.)
- Roll out premade pie crust onto flour.
- In a separate bowl combine blueberries, lemon juice, lemon zest, flour, and cinnamon
- Spoon blueberry filling to center of pie crust. Make sure to leave 2″ around the perimeter.
- Fold over perimeter, pressing to seal at corners.
- Brush perimeter with egg wash.
- Garnish egg wash with additional sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until crust is crispy and golden.
Join the Weekly Newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email and access to our File Library. Download organizing and home decor printables FREE!