These peppermint bark cupcakes are a delicious devil’s food cake with a creamy peppermint buttercream, garnished with crushed peppermint and peppermint bark.
Peppermint bark is one of my absolute favorite Christmas treats! It is so easy to make. I used store-bought bark for these Peppermint Bark Cupcakes, but I will be sharing my recipe for the homemade variety during the Christmas season.
These cupcakes capture the essence of peppermint bark- chocolate cake and creamy peppermint buttercream garnished with crushed peppermint and a sliver of peppermint bark. I hope you enjoy! :)
Peppermint Bark Cupcakes
Yields 24 Cupcakes
Delicious devil’s food cake with a creamy peppermint buttercream, garnished with crushed peppermint and peppermint bark.
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 40 min
Devils Food Cake Ingredients
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup very hot coffee
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
Peppermint Buttercream Ingredients
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened/room temperature
- 1lb (half a bag) of confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp of pure peppermint extract
- 1 tsp Light Cream
- Crushed Peppermint
- Peppermint Bark (pre-bought or homemade)
Devils Food Cake Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with papers.
- In a medium bowl: add sifted cocoa powder and dark brown sugar. Pour in the boiling water and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Within a large bowl: beat the butter and granulated sugar together, about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- In a small bowl: mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the large bowl with sugar and butter: add vanilla and 1 egg, mix well. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix until combined. Then add 2nd egg, mix well. Finally, add the remaining flour mixture and beat until combined. Use a spatula as necessary to scrape sides of the bowl.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the batter and beat until combined (about 30 seconds).
- Scoop about 1/3 cup of mixture into each cupcake liner and place cupcake pan on the center rack in the oven.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. While cupcakes are baking, make frosting.
- Let cupcakes sit for 5 minutes in the pan and place on cooling rack.
- When cool, remove middle of the cupcake with a knife or inverted frosting tip. Spoon or pipe peppermint frosting into center of cupcake. Top with additional frosting, either with a knife or frosting bag. Garnish with crushed candy cane and a sliver of peppermint bark.
Peppermint Buttercream Instructions
- Beat butter and confectioner’s sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer until fluffy.
- Add peppermint and light cream, if needed.
- The consistency of your buttercream should be similar to peanut butter. Add additional sugar or cream to achieve desired result.
Peppermint Buttercream by Nina Hendrick
Devil’s Food Cake adapted from Food Network
Join the Weekly Newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email and access to our File Library. Download organizing and home decor printables FREE!